Thursday, September 25, 2008

The thing about lists


The September edition of Buffalo Spree magazine is all about the "Best of WNY." I love "Best of" lists as much as the next VH1 junkie, and I've taken it upon myself to try out all their picks. Nevermind it could take a year. Or two. From best pho to best margarita, I'm trying to knock a few things off the list every week. To be fair, I have nothing to compare their picks to except for judgment by my own humble palate, so this is a rather unscientific sampling. Here's what I've tested:

Chocolate/Candy: Choco-logo --- Great for a post-DMV pick me up. Pretty much the most fabulous chocolate ever. Whole, creamy and completely delish. A little pricey for my tastes with specialty chocolates for 19.99/lb., but the prices keep my calorie count in check.

Enchilada: La Tolteca --- There were so many enchilada choices I wasn't sure which one Buffalo Spree was referring to, but my pick (one cheese, one beef, one chicken, one bean) was delightful going in and amazingly didn't leave me with that tell-tale "you've-over-eaten-at-a-mexican-restaurant"-feeling.

Margarita: La Tolteca (see above) --- The waitress recommended their $9.99 better-have-a-designated-driver 16 oz. margarita. On the rocks and with salt, it had more alcohol than I expected, but it went well with the Enchilada.

Bread: Wegman's --- My boyfriend is European and craves their baguettes.

Pho: Red Pepper --- I didn't know what Pho was before eating at Red Pepper. I certainly didn't know that soup could be served in such mass quantities that it quickly becomes a left-overs item. Spicy and light, it's an excellent option for a quick lunch or a cold winter day.

Place to throw a party: Pearl Street Brewery --- We tried Pearl Street for my boyfriend's birthday party and while I enjoyed the atmosphere, I can't say it was that much more impressive than an average bar. Judging by the number of couples having their wedding receptions there (two), the upper floors might have something I missed. I will give them props for their signature "Trainwreck" home brew.

Frozen Custard: Anderson's --- Last night I tried a swirl of vanilla and pumpkin custard. I needed a little pick me up after the president interrupted "America's Got Talent" for "America's Got Problems." I highly recommend Anderson's as a good investment for stimulating the economy...

So those are 7 of the 189 winners. I could be at this for a while...