Thursday, January 8, 2009

The thing about gingerbread houses


Making gingerbread houses is pretty great. For some reason I find it highly therapeutic. I wouldn't go so far as to say I possess much talent in this surprisingly challenging medium, but I still had a good time making and decorating them with my family.

This was the first house we made...
Snow covered chex-mix roof, sprinkles christmas lights, gum drop and chewy lifesavers windows, inward swinging French front doors, crystallized sugar icicles.

House #2: This is our LEED Certified Gingerbread House in which 99% of the decorating accoutrements were organic. If anyone needs lentils or orange split peas for soup, please let us know.
Piping bags are certainly fun, but more difficult to maneuver than they look like on the Food Channel.

This was what I would refer to as our "before" picture. As in, before this structurally unsound house hilariously imploded much to our dismay. We rebuilt, as any self-respecting American would after a natural disaster.

Seriously though, organic pinto beans? split peas? do I hear any takers???