Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The thing about appliances

For me, the frozen food section is not unlike many people's interest in match.com or eharmony.com: you're always a little interested what's available, but you know it's probably not good for you. But people keep browsing cliche profile pics and I always check to see if the saturated fat content has gone down on DiGiorno pizzas or that portabello mushroom stuffed ravioli...

In my latest quest through the freezers, I rediscovered Pillsbury Toaster Strudel. A throwback to my childhood, Toaster Strudels are the the dessert for breakfast my brother and I often craved and only rarely were given. Flaky, fried goodness stuffed with wholesome high fructose corn syrup fruit compote and piled high with do-it-yourself high calorie icing--this is a breakfast of champions.

I was eager to introduce my foreign beau to the joys of Toaster Strudel so I put him on the spot, right there in the middle of the aisle, freezer door open, "What strudel flavor will it be? Blueberry filling? Wildberry with that mystery blue icing? Ooooh! or Cinnamon Roll!?" Of course that's when I saw the inevitably-trumping cherry flavor and answered the question myself.

I was stoked; Toaster Strudel breakfasts here I come! Unfortunately, however, I remembered soon after I got home:

I have no toaster to toast my Toaster Strudel.

And that, my friends, is the thing about appliances.