Monday, February 2, 2009

the thing about the superbowl

The Superbowl was kind of lame. I was rooting for the underdog, but no cigar...Alas. Most people don't really care about the game so much it seems. If you dig deep, or perhaps dig very little, in the collective American Psyche, one discovers that it isn't so much about The Superbowl. No. It's about The Superparty and Super Commercials. On a side note, this PETA ad was banned from the Superbowl (NSFW). Its intention is supposedly to encourage vegetarianism, though the FCC (or was it NBC?) disagreed. Either way, the true hilarity was uncovered when the CNN reporter charged with covering the story used a butternut squash to imitate a gun but ironically fell short, making an odd, somewhat phallic gesture with the vegetable herself.

Anyway, I keep getting hits on The Lake Effect Affect from people referred from google searching for "roof icicle removal." Obviously my blog is popping up in their query results due to this entry in which I talk about our Icicle of Death (which, by the way, remains and grows daily--it was almost within arm's reach the other day. I obviously had little luck with my removal techniques, so I'm not sure if I'm a good source of tips...However, I keep seeing commercials for cool stuff like this so that's my only icicle tip...I also dumped about 8 lbs. of salt on the driveway yesterday, focusing major effort under The Icicle where a large mound of ice (almost a stalagmite itself) has formed making driving precarious. Unfortunately, salt melt does not defy gravity and melt vertically.

I'll let you know. More snow is on the way.