Friday, October 10, 2008

The thing about ganache


The other day after having a major craving for chocolate, I decided to try out a pastry shop in the neighborhood. It had been a long, rainy day and I thought it would be a nice pick-me-up.

As I purused the glass window full of yummy pastry goodness, I spotted what looked to be a dark chocolate turtle tart. It just said 'turtle tart' on the card so I asked the man working there if it was dark chocolate or milk chocolate. I didn't think my question was that out of the ordinary, but the man looked at me as if I had just insulted him, the store and his unborn child.

"Milk or dark chocolate?" he repeated.

"Yeah," I giggled uncomfortably, thinking he was making an awkward joke.

"It's ganache." With that it became very evident that he was very serious and that I might as well asked for a Hershey's bar.

"Ok. Ganache. I'll take one of those," I smiled uncomfortably and waited while he pulled my treat.

"There's no such thing as milk chocolate or dark chocolate," he muttered as he packed up the tart. Then he looked right at me and added in his snarkiest voice yet, "someone in Buffalo needs to be educated."

My shock completely shut down my comeback faculties. I replayed what he had just said over in my head, hoping the guy was joking, but there was no turning back.

The man went to ring up my credit card. I turned to my boyfriend, who was only half paying attention to this exchange, and said to him in Spanish, "if the guy wants to educate me, maybe he doesn't have to be such a jerk about it."

I got my tart and got the hell out of there, but not before the snarky clerk got in the last word yet, a mocking and horribly pronounced "hasta luego."

Don't stand between a girl and her chocolate. It's all chocolate. And don't be a snob, I'm the customer. I know what ganache is. I know what milk and dark chocolate are. And believe me, honey, they exist.

I wanted to like you Dolci Bakery on Elmwood, I really did. But that guy was such a schmuck, I vow to never go back and to tell everyone I know how rude the service was.