Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The thing about the weather

My blog is called The Lake Effect Affect, so it's important that I finally note its origins for those not from the Buffalo area.

Lake Effect
refers to snow or rain created when cold arctic winds meet warm air over lakes and dump a distinctive snow (or rain), on lee shores. That's lee shores. So there you have it.

Oh wait, you don't know what the heck 'lee shores' are? You've totally been slacking on your kayaking jargon. I'm from Kansas, you have no excuse. If you're really interested in lee shores, See wikipedia entry. It's not really important, the exact definition, except to say that Buffalo is situated on the LEE SHORES of Lake Erie, fashioning the stereotype that Buffalo is constantly inundated with snow.

Well. I haven't survived the winter yet, so I can't tell you if that's true or not. I can tell you, however, if this is any sign of what is to come:

Today we had our first snow flurries. October 21st.

So today, the Lake Effect Affect is cold---and just a little bit worr---err, excited about what's to come.


p.s. if you haven't watched the video in the last post, I promise it will make you laugh. I dare you to get up and dance with her.